Adding Wire Feet To Your Felt Birds

A number of readers have written asking for more detail about how I make the feet for my felt birds. There’s no “right” or “wrong” when it comes to making these little birds! In fact, I tend to make things up as I go along. So here’s my latest approach to adding feet to my birds.

feet-096

Some birds have dainty little feet like this sandpiper.

feet-086

Some birds have talons like the owls. Here’s how I add the feet.

feet-093

Start with a piece of wire about 12 inches long, folded in half.

feet-094

Wrap the folded end around a pencil four or five times.

feet-095

Slide the wire off the pencil and make a loop with the straight end.

feet-082

Here’s an example of dainty feet and claws ready to be sewn into the bird.

feet-084

In this case, I made my great gray owl double sided.

feet-085

On the wrong side of the back of the owl, I position the wire “legs” where I want them and tack the loop to the body on each side of the loop. With this owl, I run the needle and thread through just the first layer of felt – the wings on the right side hide the stitches.

feet-091

The blanket stitching along the edges when I finish the bird keeps the feet from slipping around.

If you have other approaches to adding feet to your felt birds, I’d love to hear them!

This entry was posted in and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

19 Responses to Adding Wire Feet To Your Felt Birds

1. Amanda says:

Thank you for your free patterns! This is wonderful, I love birds and definitely want to try these little guys. Its nice to know there are still people out there who dont want paid for everything! By the way, have you tried making dogs? I have two Beagles that would look so adorable as felt animals…..

2. Carole Webb Slater says:

Of all the felt bird patterns I have found on the internet, your patterns are the ones I love to make. For Christmas gifts this year I made my favorite birds (bluebird, owl, canada goose) with a gift card describing features of each bird and why I had selected a specific bird for a friend. For example, Canada geese demonstrate beautiful family values; the owl has been around for thousands of years and is very “wise”; and the bluebird of happiness graces the skies with its’ beauty.

• sjbennett says:

What a lovely thing to say! And what lovely gifts to offer. Your sentiment makes them very special.

3. Carole Webb Slater says:

Thank you very much for making your patterns available! They are wonderful!!

4. Karole says:

Susan — I have purchased 3 types of wire and none of them have worked…what type are you using? Gauge and type…you wire is darker than the ones I’ve tried and also it looks much thinner. I tried Walmart and Lowes? Am I looking in the wrong area? Maybe florist supplies?

• sjbennett says:

Mine looks darker because it is rusty! I’ve had it forever. I would say that it’s more along florist wire in size. It is thin – it was originally used for wiring up wreaths. I hope that helps. Next time I’m out and about at the hardware, I’ll see if I can get a better guideline for you.

5. julia says:

Thank you, your loved birds -‘m from Brazil.

6. Sandy Jee says:

I really live your bird patterns and am busy making them for the various animal charities here in Spain. The patterns are so easy to follow and thank you for making them free. I hope to make everyone of them…….eventually.

7. Nicole says:

Thank you so much for posting all of these patterns and how to make the wire feet. Your birds are so realistic! My Mom is in the process of creating a tree with branches from our yard and she had envisioned putting birds and owls in the branches so I am really excited about making your birds for her. The only problem is deciding which one to start with because they are all so pretty and I want to make them all. thank you so much for posting these. I just found your website and I cannot believe they are free. Thank you so much!

8. Mary says:

I think you just saved my Christmas! I’ve been making ornaments for my extended family for nearly 40 years, and the family is growing while my stamina and ideas are fading. They will love, love, love these! Thanks so much for your generous sharing of your talents and love for birds.

9. Susan McKenzie says:

Just found your website and can’t believe these wonderful patterns are free. These little patterns are perfect for lots of different crafts, ornaments, appliqués on clothes, quilts etc. I can’t wait to start using them!

10. Lea Ann Barnhart says:

I still can’t believe these wonderful patterns are free!! My mom and I are both making them. I am going to have a Christmas tree full of your wonderful designs.

Thank you so much for your generosity.

11. Barbara Simpson says:

I am so pleased to learn how to attach wire feet/legs & it looks so simple.

Thank you.

12. judy says:

love these patterns. thanks so much for sharing your talents

13. Karen Wilson says:

I love, love, love your site and patterns. Working on owls presently and plan on making all the birds and animals.
    Thanks so much for offering them for free!!

14. Margaret Bohall says:

I made your corgi pattern as an ornament for a friend who just got a corgi pup. She loved it! I put a. Limitless sprig of fake Holly around its neck and some redembroidery thread to hang it by. Well worth the effort! Thank you. ME

15. JJ says:

These patterns are fantastic. Every year I make Christmas ornaments with my niece and nephews. This year we are doing some of your birds. Each kid picked which one they wanted and cut out the patterns. Only the niece is old enough to be able to do the sewing (which means I may or may not get them done in time to hang on this year’s tree). The wings are perfect hiding places. I’m stitching their name and the year underneath. Thank you so much!

Summer Solstice

On this Summer Solstice, I went in search of Lupins. The tall spired flowers are my favorite thing about June. Seas of purply blossoms fill the landscape, brightening fields, providing … Continue reading

Hummingbird Feeder Cleaning

I hate cleaning my hummingbird feeders, but I do it every weekend. I’ve read it should be done more often, but my time during the week is so limited that … Continue reading

Gone

For more than seven years I’ve passed this blueberry field on the way to work. A solitary tree rising above the blueberry barren like a sentinel, creating focus, depth, and … Continue reading

Showing Off Pigeon Hill

My folks made the trip from Pennsylvania for Hannah’s high school graduation. Their visit was short and we didn’t have a lot of free time, but I did my best … Continue reading

Creating Memories

I’m not a foodie and you’ll find more “oops” stories here at Downeast Thunder Farm than you will recipes. In planning for Hannah’s graduation celebration, I found these little graduation … Continue reading

graduation storm trooper masks Graduation!

It’s been a wildly crazy couple of weeks. Watching Hannah wrap up her high school career has been bitter-sweet. Happy for her accomplishments, and sad that this chapter of her … Continue reading