Greenhouse Progress

Following a ridiculous amount of manual labor this weekend, the greenhouse we started last fall is closer to being put into service.


The pressure treated wood framework over two 3′ x 20′ hugelkultures is complete. One pvc bow is in place across the ridge pole. Only fifteen more to go and we’ll be ready for the greenhouse plastic that’s on order.


This picture was taken last fall shortly after I wrote about the fiasco of Mother Nature conspiring against me. Torrential rain set in before we’d finished building the hugelkulture beds. Without the loam that is the final layer of the hugelkulture bed, the ditches filled with water and the rotting logs I lined the bottom of the hugelkultures floated to the top. I almost threw in the towel then. Actually, in my fit of temper, I think I threw a few things, but the towel wasn’t among them.


A December warm up melted the ice in the hugelkultures and I jumped at the opportunity to “fix” the beds. I painstakingly pumped the water out of both of the 20′ long ditches and then muscled the logs back into place. What had been nice layers of logs, twigs, compost and leaf mulch is now all mixed up. Picture a layered salad that someone came along and tossed. Finishing off the ditches with loam is as far as we made it last year.


As Paul worked to finish the greenhouse framework, with a little help from the girls, I worked on the garden beds. The loam, re-purposed from raised beds was littered with small rocks. I got it in my head that I needed to screen the soil to remove the rocks. I manually dug up and sifted approximately 3 1/2 cubic yards of soil today.


The top 8 inches of the hugelkultures got screened along with the soil from the last raised bed that I’m sacrificing for the greenhouse. Needless to say, there’s not an inch of my body that doesn’t hurt tonight.

This entry was posted in and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

Comments are closed.

You might enjoy these other recent posts...

Bog Brook Cove Bluff

A couple of years ago, Hannah and I hiked one of the Bog Brook Cove trails in Trescott. I remember discovering a lovely cove inhabited by seals at the end … Continue reading

sturgeon full moon Evening Walk on the Sunrise

Hannah and I both spent the day working. Come dinner time, we felt the need to get outdoors and enjoy this beautiful day. We headed to Machias, parked and walked … Continue reading

Hannah's 18th Birthday Eighteen

She’s 18 today. In the blink of an eye, she’s grown up. No longer is she the shy little girl who did her best not to stand out – all … Continue reading

monarch chrysalis Monarch Caterpillar Becomes a Chrysalis

Yesterday was a lucky day for me. I was working at home day on website projects when I noticed one of the caterpillars Hannah and I have been raising hanging … Continue reading

The Lobster Chair

The WHRL’s summer fundraising auction held over the weekend had a new feature this year. In addition to the raffle-style auction, we had a “Chair-ity” silent auction. Local artists decorated … Continue reading

hannah dancing moose The Dancing Moose

The summer season is short here along the coast of Maine. For me, doesn’t feel as if summer is in full-swing until Milbridge Days, our community celebration. It’s a fun … Continue reading