Let the Sap Flow!

The days are getting warmer and the snow has that mushy spring texture to it. It’s time to tap the Maple trees!

Chances are we could have started in February, but things have been a bit busy lately. Last year was our first experience making Maple syrup. The learning curve was fun, but we hope to improve the process this year.

In 2012 we ended up with 72 ounces – just over a half-gallon of syrup. We evaporated it over an open fire which gave it a smoky overtone. We’ve since dismantled the temporary fire pit, so we’ve only got a few weeks to sort out a new system.


This morning, loaded up with our recycled milk containers, tubing, taps, hammer and drill, we headed off into the woods. Hannah’s friend, Marcella, joined us for the outing.


Paul drilled the holes while the girls connected tubing from the taps to the containers.


Most of the trees had sap flowing as soon as the tap hole was drilled. Tomorrow, when we check production, we’ll move any taps that aren’t flowing to new trees.


Past Sugaring Posts:
18 March 2012: Sugaring – From Sap to Syrup
11 March 2012: Sugaring – Collecting Sap
4 March 2012: Sugaring – Tapping Maple Trees

This entry was posted in and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

Comments are closed.

You might enjoy these other recent posts...

Wild Iris

After a stop in Winter Harbor to visit with a friend, Hannah and I headed out to Schoodic Point for a scramble on the rocks. Inland was warm and sunny, … Continue reading

No Bees

My seasons of purple have been racing by without much notice on my part. I’ve been too busy to enjoy being at home. I’ve all but missed the lilac bushes … Continue reading

Exploring Gardens

On this Fourth of July, Hannah and I explored some of the beautiful gardens of Mount Desert Island. Our initial destination was the Charlotte Rhoades Butterfly Garden in Southwest Harbor. … Continue reading

miss kitty A Portrait of a Kitty

Cinder, aka Miss Kitty.

Stop the Car!

A few weeks ago, Hannah and I went for a walk on the beach. Heading home, we were crossing the bridge when Hannah began yelling, “Stop the car! Stop the … Continue reading

Summer Solstice

On this Summer Solstice, I went in search of Lupins. The tall spired flowers are my favorite thing about June. Seas of purply blossoms fill the landscape, brightening fields, providing … Continue reading