The Bird Tree: A Collection of Bird Felt Ornaments

I have been creating these little bird felt ornaments for almost a year now. This hobby started when I made ornaments for Christmas gifts last year using patterns I found online. Not until I turned the Downeast Thunder Farm blog owls into ornaments did it occur to me that I should be drawing my own patterns.

With thoughts of this year’s Christmas tree on my mind, I gathered up all of the ornaments I’ve made over the year. I need a place to keep my birds and enjoy them all year long, so I’ve created a bird tree. A branch placed in a planter serves as a perch for my growing collection.

The Bird Tree: A Collection of Felt Bird Ornaments

Let’s hope Cinder loses interest in them!

This entry was posted in and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

22 Responses to The Bird Tree: A Collection of Bird Felt Ornaments

1. I love how that looks, lots of branches in my back yard. My neighbor still hasn’t taken the saw to the one that fell on my fence;)

Debbie

2. Carol says:

Greetings from Flyover Country! I’m on a little patch of paradise about 30 minutes south of Kansas City, where I also raise chickens, make mozzarella, and love birds. I really can’t thank you enough for your fabulous freebie patterns. I keep a perpetual Christmas/seasonal tree in the house, and these are exactly what I’ve been looking for to adorn my spring tree. I’ll try to send you a picture when (which is to say “if”) I get it done. Thank you! Thank you! Can’t wait to get started!

I’m wondering how you get them to sit up so nicely on the branches. – Will you share your secret?

• Susan says:

Carol, I pin the birds to the branches. I take a straight pin and run it through the felt, behind the twig and back through the felt.

• Carol says:

Ah! A simply wonderful solution! – Thanks again for the ideas, the patterns, and the perching tip. I dashed out this morning and purchased some felt. – Have a day off of work on Friday, so you know what I’ll be doing!
        I hope you have a memorable Thanksgiving Day with those you love. – cj

3. Elaine Wiese says:

I love that tree with all the birds & chickens. It looks like the cat does also.

4. Kristen Rigney says:

Your birds are wonderful. I am going to try making some with my son, an animal lover. Awesome!

5. Patti Burns says:

I love this! I hope to make this for my Christmas tree this year!

6. Susan says:

Ooo, absolutely beautiful–this bird tree! I love all your bird ornaments and can not wait to make them all! I made the cardinal so far but I want to make the dove for Christmas and after seeing this bird tree–I really hope to do the same. Even making branches attached to the wall somehow and putting the ornaments on the wall would be a gorgeous display! Thanks so much for sharing your wonderful talents!! Have a wonderful holiday season! I know you’ve made mine brighter with these beautiful ornaments. 🙂

7. Sandy Norris says:

Made my first felt ornament this last weekend at my daughters!! I am hooked. While looking up patterns, I came across your bird tree. Looks like I have a new hobby. You are the best.

8. Angela says:

These are beautiful!
    What do you recommend to people who want to try and make our own patterns? Where/how do we start?

9. Amy Walker says:

Love these! My family loves to bird!! I would love to get a copy of your bird patterns so I could create these!! Thank you so much! Exactly what I am looking for! Thanks for sharing ! Amy Walker

10. Lily says:

I am on my 5th bird. Making them as little love gifts.
    Have to ask, what kind of scissors do you use to get nice, small, accurate pieces of felt?

• sjbennett says:

I have a nice pair of Fiskars fabric scissors that I do not use on anything but felt. I have a separate pair of scissors all together for cutting out the patterns. I do find it easier to get a smooth cut if I cut through only one piece of felt at a time when the pattern calls for two pieces. When I double up the felt and try to cut two pieces at once one of the pieces always looks a little messy. Hope this helps!

• Lily says:

Ah yes, my “crafty” teen is always “borrowing” my scissors for his projects! Short blades, curved blades, pointy? Believe it or not, my favorite scissors are small, curved nail scissors.
        Love your birds & your site!

11. Barbara Sweatman says:

i love doing little felt projects. Where would I find the patterns? Thank you, Barbara

12. Angela says:

Do you sell your creations?

13. Kathy says:

Beautiful work on the birds! Thank you so much for sharing! Dear friend is ill; she will love a couple of these on her tree this year! God bless

14. Barbara says:

That is beautiful and I want to make
    it.

15. Margie Dickinson says:

Do you sell the bird ornaments? I would possibly be interested in buying some. Also, I would like to have a Clark’s Nutcracker ornament and have not been able to find one

• Susan says:

I’m sorry, I do not sell my ornaments. There are not enough hours in the day! I’m so pleased you like them and have asked!

You might enjoy these other recent posts...

Bog Brook Cove Bluff

A couple of years ago, Hannah and I hiked one of the Bog Brook Cove trails in Trescott. I remember discovering a lovely cove inhabited by seals at the end … Continue reading

sturgeon full moon Evening Walk on the Sunrise

Hannah and I both spent the day working. Come dinner time, we felt the need to get outdoors and enjoy this beautiful day. We headed to Machias, parked and walked … Continue reading

Hannah's 18th Birthday Eighteen

She’s 18 today. In the blink of an eye, she’s grown up. No longer is she the shy little girl who did her best not to stand out – all … Continue reading

monarch chrysalis Monarch Caterpillar Becomes a Chrysalis

Yesterday was a lucky day for me. I was working at home day on website projects when I noticed one of the caterpillars Hannah and I have been raising hanging … Continue reading

The Lobster Chair

The WHRL’s summer fundraising auction held over the weekend had a new feature this year. In addition to the raffle-style auction, we had a “Chair-ity” silent auction. Local artists decorated … Continue reading

hannah dancing moose The Dancing Moose

The summer season is short here along the coast of Maine. For me, doesn’t feel as if summer is in full-swing until Milbridge Days, our community celebration. It’s a fun … Continue reading