This morning I used the last of our blueberries picked last week in this blueberry coffee cake that has become a family favorite.
Downeast Thunder Farm Blueberry Coffee Cake
- ¼ cup canola oil
- ½ scant cup of sugar
- ¾ cup skim milk
- 1 ½ cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 2 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon finely grated lemon rind
- 1 ½ cup wild blueberries
- 3 tablespoons cold butter
- ½ cup light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 rounded tablespoon of wheat germ
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- Lightly oil a 9×9-inch baking pan.
- Whisk together the oil, sugar, milk and egg.
- Combine the flour, baking powder and salt; mix into the wet ingredients until well incorporated.
- Fold in the blueberries and lemon rind. I wash the fresh blueberries and dry them in a bowl lined with a tea towel – tugging the towel back and forth to roll around the berries. Before adding them to the batter, I toss them with 1 teaspoon of flour.
- Pour the blueberry batter into the pan.
- Put the streusel toppings in a bowl; cut and combine with a pastry cutter until you have the consistency of rice; sprinkle topping evenly over the batter.
- Slide into oven and bake for 25 minutes.