Blustery Weekend Snapshots

It was a blustery October weekend here. Windy enough to strip the autumn colors from the trees and make me appreciate how quickly autumn is passing. Feeling the pressure, we packed a lot of projects into the last two days.

Although it was just two-and-a-half months ago that I harvested my garlic, it’s time to replant for next year. The general rule of thumb is to plant about a month before the ground freezes. So I planted 64 cloves alongside my fading Black Eyed Susans.

Then I planted another 70 cloves in a raised bed. I’ve not planted garlic in a raised bed before, so this is a bit of an experiment. Since you can plant closer together in raised beds than in the ground, I packed them in. All in all, this is a 50% increase in planting over last year.

Part of the weekend was spent working on firewood. Here’s Paul loading a maple onto the trailer. Once we have as many trees as we dare stack on the trailer, we haul it to the house and cut it and stack it. (Notice the total absence of leaves in this picture? A clear sign that we’re closer to winter than to summer.)

This afternoon we finally started the ducky house makeover. When the ducks arrived, we re-purposed a chicken run for them. It turns out that the flat roof of the temporary chicken run isn’t conducive to egg collection (not that we have any eggs yet…) or snow maintenance. We’re building up with a sloped roof and an access door. The project is dried in and we’ll finish it up tomorrow.

Last, but not least is an update on the Turkey Dudes. They look fairly suspicious of me. I can’t begin to imagine why. Think they like cornbread stuffing?

This entry was posted in and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

Comments are closed.

You might enjoy these other recent posts...

sturgeon full moon Evening Walk on the Sunrise

Hannah and I both spent the day working. Come dinner time, we felt the need to get outdoors and enjoy this beautiful day. We headed to Machias, parked and walked … Continue reading

Hannah's 18th Birthday Eighteen

She’s 18 today. In the blink of an eye, she’s grown up. No longer is she the shy little girl who did her best not to stand out – all … Continue reading

monarch chrysalis Monarch Caterpillar Becomes a Chrysalis

Yesterday was a lucky day for me. I was working at home day on website projects when I noticed one of the caterpillars Hannah and I have been raising hanging … Continue reading

The Lobster Chair

The WHRL’s summer fundraising auction held over the weekend had a new feature this year. In addition to the raffle-style auction, we had a “Chair-ity” silent auction. Local artists decorated … Continue reading

hannah dancing moose The Dancing Moose

The summer season is short here along the coast of Maine. For me, doesn’t feel as if summer is in full-swing until Milbridge Days, our community celebration. It’s a fun … Continue reading

bee on milkweed Macros and Milkweed

The Monarch caterpillars are getting quite big. This morning I gave them a new sprig of milkweed. By this evening, they’d eaten all but the stock. I had two new … Continue reading