Twelve years ago today, darling Hannah entered into our lives. She took her own sweet time arriving on the scene two weeks late. Not much has changed on that front.
My due date of July 23 came and went. When the doctor said that they were going to induce labor, I was relieved. Ten months pregnant during August in Massachusetts with no air conditioning was no picnic.
Paul and I arrived at Jordan Hospital in Plymouth at the appointed time on August 4th. They directed us to a waiting room in the OB department where we waited.
Finally, a nurse stopped in and asked if maybe we could come back the next day. There was no room at the inn. They were full up with expectant moms. What?! I was ready to cry. I think I probably did. I can’t remember how we spent the rest of the day probably refolding baby clothes for the 97th time. Talk about a letdown.
Turns out that the wait was worth it. We arrived at the hospital at noon the next day and at 9:40 p.m. that night Hannah arrived.
We are blessed. She is an amazing child. Without the benefit of an owner’s manual, Paul and I have managed to rear this half-grown girl who is a better person than I could have ever imagined.
Here are just a few of the things that make Hannah special in my eyes.
- She is mine. There’s no doubting it with the curly blond hair and blue eyes.
- She stands up for the underdog.
- She is empathetic, thinking of the needs and feelings of other people before those of her own.
- She actually likes school and values her education.
- She likes to read all types of books from Hemmingway to Harry Potter.
- She still likes to spend time with her parents (I’m sure this will change before too long – she is 12 now).
- She is an independent thinker. While she cares about what others think, she has the conviction and confidence to make her own decisions and stand on her own if need be.
- She understands the value of chocolate.
- She has willpower. The chocolate truffles she gets on Valentine’s Day are savored and hoarded so that there are still some left in August.
- She makes her mom Perfectly Perfect Ebelskivers!
Sweetie, this day is for you. Thank you for being you!
A Hannah retrospective… (click on the thumbnail for a larger view)