The asparagus bed is in!

It’s been a very productive weekend here. Last week, Paul finished fixing the tractor. This is a project that started in the fall – it needed a new clutch. The whole thing had to be split in two – twice! Of course things are never as simple as they seem at the outset. Yesterday, Paul and I finagled the back-hoe and front loader back onto the tractor. Not without Paul introducing me to a brand new vocabulary. Who knew there were so many different ways to express the sentiment “darn it?”

This feat meant that we could finally plant the asparagus crowns that Mom sent me almost six weeks ago. Paul excavated this space for me near where the chicken coop and yard will go. Using the tractor, he yanked out stumps and removed clay. Then he put in loam left over from last summer, compost and peat moss. We ran weed block fabric down the middle. Tonight I planted 40 asparagus crowns. With any luck they will grow. Thanks, Mom!

asparagus bed

We still have a bit of clearing and straightening to do on the other side of the bed, but that can wait for another day.

This entry was posted in and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

Comments are closed.

You might enjoy these other recent posts...

Bog Brook Cove Bluff

A couple of years ago, Hannah and I hiked one of the Bog Brook Cove trails in Trescott. I remember discovering a lovely cove inhabited by seals at the end … Continue reading

sturgeon full moon Evening Walk on the Sunrise

Hannah and I both spent the day working. Come dinner time, we felt the need to get outdoors and enjoy this beautiful day. We headed to Machias, parked and walked … Continue reading

Hannah's 18th Birthday Eighteen

She’s 18 today. In the blink of an eye, she’s grown up. No longer is she the shy little girl who did her best not to stand out – all … Continue reading

monarch chrysalis Monarch Caterpillar Becomes a Chrysalis

Yesterday was a lucky day for me. I was working at home day on website projects when I noticed one of the caterpillars Hannah and I have been raising hanging … Continue reading

The Lobster Chair

The WHRL’s summer fundraising auction held over the weekend had a new feature this year. In addition to the raffle-style auction, we had a “Chair-ity” silent auction. Local artists decorated … Continue reading

hannah dancing moose The Dancing Moose

The summer season is short here along the coast of Maine. For me, doesn’t feel as if summer is in full-swing until Milbridge Days, our community celebration. It’s a fun … Continue reading